Tuesday, September 20, 2005

And the Winner is...

...Bulworth - for the best political satire ever made. I just got done watching it for the umpteenth time in the seven years since it was released and its message still resonates. The movie has the ability to simultaneously be funny and poignant and really drives home some valid points about the Democratic Party and the political process in general.

Essentially Warren Beatty is a suicidal disillusioned Democrat who has an urban epiphany, thanks in part to Halle Barry. If you haven't seen the movie, you should.

"You got to be a spirit, you can't be no ghost"

I started thinking about other movies in the political genre, and will say that The Candidate stands the test of time. Recent entries like Wag the Dog or Primary Colors while good, pale in comparison.

7 Comments:

At September 20, 2005 at 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's the line go? Ok, here it is, via the IMDB:

Woman: Are you saying the Democratic party doesn't care about African-Americans?

Bullworth: Isn't that OBVIOUS? You got half your kids are out of work and the other half are in jail. Do you see ANY Democrat doing anything about it? Certainly not me! So what're you gonna do, vote Republican? Come on! Come on, you're not gonna vote Republican! Let's call a spade a spade! I mean - come on! You can have a Billion Man March! If you don't put down that malt liquor and chicken wings, and get behind someone other than a running back who stabs his wife, you're NEVER gonna get rid of somebody like me!"

Hilarious.

 
At September 20, 2005 at 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fritchey, you are my hero, if for no other reason, for your appreciation of this masterpiece.

 
At September 20, 2005 at 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got to sing!!

 
At September 20, 2005 at 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great movie. I just watched it on HBO last night while I was trying my hardest to work on Torts. It was hard to focus after watching my free falling White Sox. I think I am begining to know what it means to be a Cubs fan, and I feel sorry for us both.

 
At September 21, 2005 at 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe i missed it, but felt Bullworth was insulting. (see comment one). On the other hand, a better movie is Bob Roberts

 
At September 22, 2005 at 10:18 AM, Blogger Rep. John Fritchey said...

Not sure that it's insulting if what it does is force you to think about some uncomfortable issues thorugh an in-your-face technique.

 
At September 22, 2005 at 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a good liberal, I'd argue hard that the movie's insulting, too.

But then I think of the scores of Democrats who don't deserve to be in office, but keep winning because of the African-American community's undying, but sometimes undeserved, loyalty.

And then I realize Bulworth had a point.

 

<< Home