Monday, February 27, 2006

But Not Often

Monday is the first day of early voting. It will be very interesting to see what candidates, organizations or constituencies will be the beneificiaries of this new process. But to the extent that it increases turnout, I think that it is a positive for everybody.

Voters in Chicago and the rest of Cook County can find their locations here.

Voters in DuPage County can find their locations here.

Voters in Lake County can find their locations here.

Voters in Sangamon County can find their locations here.

Everybody else is on their own to find out. But find out. And vote.

2 Comments:

At February 27, 2006 at 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,

I'll be the first to admit I am skeptical about early voting. If this is to work, and not be abused, we need to shed light on the whole concept. I applaude you for putting links to voting sites on this thread.

Rep. Ed Sullivan

 
At February 27, 2006 at 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted today at a site where there were about as many workers and supervisors as voters, but it was an off period. I imagine that when more people find out about this it will become immensely popular. I was hesitant to use the touch-screens, but I selected the "print and review paper record" option, which was really cool because it printed all of my votes on a roll of paper behind a screen. When I confirmed that it was accurate, it rolled up inside the machine, giving me at least some confidence that -- even in the hands of the evil Cook COunty bureaucrats -- there would be a paper trail of my vote. Given that I did NOT vote for the incumbent board president, I'm not sure my vote won't ultimately be negated by some extra votes somewhere along the line. I saw some questionable activity firsthand during a disputed election personally supervised by David Orr, which really surprised me because I thought he was supposed to be squeaky clean.

Nonetheless, I'm glad we've made it easier for folks to vote -- though personally I'd like to give people a $10 refund on their taxes if they send in an "I voted" stub. Kind of like getting a free coupon when you participate in an online survey. If you're willing to help improve the process, I think you deserve a discount. WHaddya say John? Or have you already used up your 3 bills ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home