Thursday, March 23, 2006

Shuffle 'em Up

Obligatory Disclaimer - I wish nothing but a speedy and complete recovery for John Stroger. My interactions with him were limited to going to the same gym for a while, but he was never less than warm and jovial to me every time we saw each other. His son Todd was my seatmate for a while down here and I consider him a good friend. I spoke with Todd over the weekend to wish the family well and we talked about how recent events really serve to put in perspective those things that are truly important.

That having been said, completely ignoring the possibility that there might be a need for a replacement is turning a blind eye to the elephant in the corner of the room. There have been countless scenarios tossed about, some plausible, some just bizarre. But I want to throw two out there, solely for the purpose of giving people something to think about. Let me be clear that these theories are based upon nothing concrete, and are more a product of me having too much time on my hands as I drove downstate. And in the interest of avoiding diving into the middle of a potential firestorm, I will, for these purposes, accept the presumption that the replacement would need to be an African-American.

Theory one - The committeemen appoint Emil Jones as the Board President nominee. He is a known and trusted commodity by the powers that be, and has the experience needed to run what can be a contentious body. This would allow him to get away from the ongoing grief down here, let him be home with his new bride, and increase his salary and pension while he's at it. It also allows for the installation of a new Senate President, which creates some very interesting possibilities, and has little impact on any other ticket considerations. Personally, I think that this is one that's got to be considered.

Theory two - The already much talked about appointment of Jesse White to the position. Personally, I don't see why he would want to do it. He's universally loved right now and would have to take the reigns of a Board that's under intense scrutiny and pressure to fix itself. BUT, if it did happen, I would look for the State Central Committee to move Dan Hynes to the SoS slot, and fill the Comptroller position with the much-coveted downstater candidate. My pick for that would be Sen. James Clayborne, giving the party a downstater, a minority, and a qualified candidate all in one fell swoop. Both Hynes and Clayborne would fare very well in the General, making for a real strong ticket across the board. But again, I just don't know why Jesse would want to do it.

Anyway, I have to go off to committee. I may toss a couple more ideas up here later. But for now, you've got a couple things to think about and discuss.

13 Comments:

At March 23, 2006 at 4:22 PM, Blogger fedup dem said...

Let's see, Representative Fritchey. Why would Jesse White want to become County board President?

I assume he would note that the job would mean he could stay in Chicago all the time, allowing him more time to spend with his Tumblers (and everyone else up in Chicago). Since White only plans on serving one more term in office anyway (I believe he has indicated that he wants to step down from elective office in 2010), one would suspect he would jump at the chance to emulate his political mentor George Dunne by sitting in Dunne's old chair as County Board President.

But instead of pushing Dan Hynes up to Secretary of State, why not move Lieutenant Governor Pat Quinn into the slot? This will enable Quinn to avoid going down to defeat as part of a Blagojevich ticket. (I suspect a couple of your wife's relatives might jusr appreciate a plan that avoids having an angry and defeated Pat Quinn waking up on the morning after the General Election and noting there 40 days left to gather petition signatures for the office of Alderman in the ward he resides in.)

If Blagojevich wants to replace Quinn with an African-American as the Lieutenant Governor candidate, he would be free to do so.

 
At March 23, 2006 at 4:34 PM, Blogger Rep. John Fritchey said...

Randall,

First off, I do not think that Pat would do it at all. Second of all, and with all due respect, your insinuation that Pat would run for Alderman out there borders on laughable. And I am confident that the Lt. Gov. would be the first one to tell you that. Lastly, the LG replacement is not Rod's to make, it's the call of the State Central Committee.

 
At March 23, 2006 at 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only the "Honorable" John Fritchey could make a Stroger story about himself.

"I was Todd's seat mate. I have to go to Committee. He spoke to me."

In a short 4-5 paragraph story, Fritchey used "I" - 12 times, "my" - 4 times, and "we" - 2 times.

That is 18 personal references in a story about someone else.

 
At March 23, 2006 at 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rep.,

While I agree with you in doubting that White would do it, I also agree that it would make for a GREAT statewide ticket and a Democratic sweep in the Fall. Well...maybe not at the very top, but definitely the rest :)

 
At March 23, 2006 at 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

5:09,

It's a first-person post you idiot. He is relating a story about firsthand experiences. You try to do it without using the word 'I'. If you don't want to read HIS observations, don't read HIS blog. I'm sure nobody will miss you. Stooge.

I personally think that HIS take on this subject makes for interesting thought, especially since nobody else has openly thrown possibilities out there. It's definitely better than the thoughts of some moron who has nothing better to do with their time than count pronouns.

Exactly who is making you visit this site?

 
At March 23, 2006 at 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

South of I-80, you forget that unfortunately there is no minimum intelligence quota in order for people to get onto the internet. That's why you wind up with stupid posts like the one at 5:09.

Rep., don't you think that one of the African-American alderman would make a run at the Board President seat? What about Todd himself?

 
At March 23, 2006 at 5:56 PM, Blogger Rep. John Fritchey said...

I left the 5:09 post up there so you can appreciate the nonsense that comes through here, albeit blissfully rarely. It's mostly from one person who, surprise surprise, posts anonymously or under various names. They underestimate certain things though, but that's a story for the future.

As far as Chicago alderman wanting the post, I guess the names that would come to mind would be Ald. Beavers or Smith. I'm not sure enough of the local dynamics to know if either one of them could pull it off. With respect to Todd, I'm not sure that the 8th Ward would be able to secure that one either, or for that matter, if Todd would even want to try to take that on.

Like I said, I was just throwing out a couple scenarios that I mulled over that would make for some interesting bigger picture situations. Right now, we have a County Board President, and anything else is simply idle speculation.

 
At March 23, 2006 at 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Representative-

How dare you use personal pronouns! This can only be a sign of--um, I guess it's a sign of using the English language. Maybe you should start referring to yourself in the third person, like Bo Jackson or Ricky Henderson.

"John Fritchey supports this bill! John Fritchey hopes that the proper appropriations can be made! John Fritchey defers his time to the Representative from East St. Louis! John Fritchey will steal 100 bases this year!"

For an interesting take on the Cook County Board race, check out my buddy over at GapersBlock, Richard Carnahan:

http://www.gapersblock.com/airbags/archives/stroger_claypool_and_candidate_x/

 
At March 24, 2006 at 1:30 AM, Blogger ArchPundit said...

Imagine if you referred to yourself in the third person---

What? Does he think he's Barry Bonds or something....

 
At March 24, 2006 at 1:40 AM, Blogger Rep. John Fritchey said...

Ramsin,

Long time, no speak my friend. If I could figure out how to do it, maybe I could refer to myself in the fourth person, or is that even more presumptuous?

Thanks for the link, yet another good article on Gapers Block.

 
At March 24, 2006 at 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Pat Quinn personally, and he would become Secretary of State if he was asked to serve in that position, but I agree that Hynes would definitely be the one to be picked should the situation arise.

 
At March 24, 2006 at 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Danny Davis? I don't see why Jesse leaves SoS early whereas Davis may be getting tired of the commute to DC. I have to disagree with Emil as he's got way more power now than he would as board president.

 
At March 27, 2006 at 7:19 PM, Blogger Bill said...

I think that Paul Mangieri would be named to run for comptroller if Danny moves up. He would work very well with our new State Treasurer, Christine Radogno.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home