Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bad Rapping the Bible (Word up...His Word up)

I was thinking about the 'Moment of Silence' bill, um, law that we passed last week, which has gotten off to an 'awkward' start in schools around the state. The bill's sponsor maintained that it wasn't a way to try to get prayer into the schools, which if true, would make the law make even less sense. (If religion was at the crux of it, there would have at least been a purpose, albeit unconstitutional, to this ambiguous mandate. Taking the sponsors at their word, the purpose of the law is to let kids listen to birds chirping and leaves rustling.)

But despite all of the other issues that I had with the bill, I'm not sure that in today's age, a moment of silence is even the best way to get kids to focus on religion. (Not that that was the purpose of the bill, of course.)

Then I was watching Nightline and they had a short piece about a website called GodTube, essentially a religious version of YouTube. I guess that it strikes me as a logical way to use technology to reach the younger generation, to bring mass to the masses if you will.

But I'm not so sure if this video is what the site creators had in mind. Then again, maybe it's just what they had in mind.

I'm curious about other people's thoughts as to whether a video like this one helps promote religion in a modern era or if it trivializes the subject. My mind isn't made up yet.

3 Comments:

At October 17, 2007 at 6:12 AM, Blogger Bill Baar said...

It doesn't do much for me.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has decreed this letter be read to French middle schoolers.

It's a farwell letter written by a 17 yo French Communist to his family before he was shot by the Germans.

Powerline had some issues, but I sent a copy of it in French with my daughter for her French class. I thought it worth reading to kids.

Moment of silence just fine and it need not have much to do with religion. Just focus on your mind on this young fellows letter instead.

 
At October 17, 2007 at 8:18 AM, Blogger Rep. John Fritchey said...

Bill,

I agree, it's a powerful letter. You don't find many 17 year olds (or adults for that matter) with that sense of purpose or selflessness.

 
At October 17, 2007 at 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for making my morning Representative. I don't know if it is hilarious or just sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home