Saturday, March 29, 2008

Lights Out

On Saturday, March 29, turn out your lights to show your support and commitment toward taking action to combat climate change. Earth Hour started in Sydney, Australia in 2007 and this year cities across the globe, such as Tel Aviv, Bangkok and Copenhagen, are taking action. The City of Chicago is partnering with World Wildlife Fund as the U.S. flagship city for Earth Hour.

This year's effort has been receiving a tremendous amount of press, so it should be interesting to see how the response turns out to be. I was thinking about live-blogging the event, but it seemed kind of paradoxical (not to mention boring).

So tonight, grab a candle and a book and relax old-school style. (really old-school)

When: Saturday, March 29

Time: 8:00p.m. - 9:00p.m.

What: Turn out your lights in support of taking actions to combat climate change

Who: You

3 Comments:

At March 29, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

Rather than my entire house for just an hour, I'll be turning off the lights just in my children's bedrooms at 8:00 pm, and leaving them off all night.

 
At March 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Blogger Rep. John Fritchey said...

Well, I will say that our lights out household was very peaceful. It was actually an odd transition at first, but one to which we quickly adjusted.

The best moment was probably when our daughter stated that she felt like she was 'living in the '50s or something'. I'm getting old.

 
At March 30, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had the odd experience of cooking dinner on our gas stove by candlelight. It was extremely jarring every time we opened the refridgerator - until I taped down the light switch.

Very interesting, too, reading an article for class "Refuting the False Gospel of Globalization" by candlelight.

But did remind me that I don't need to turn on the lights in every room I visit (as my wife will attest).

It also brought back old memories of power outages on the beach where I grew up on Puget Sound. Candles, flashlights, and sharing stories by the fireplace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home